Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
420 Chesapeake Racers (June 18-August 17)
Monday, June 18, 2018 to Friday, August 17, 2018
Severn Sailing Association
311 First St.
Annapolis, MD 21403
(Click the down-arrow to the left of the activity/item to view the details)
420 Chesapeake Racers (June 18- July 20)
$250 Non-Refundable DEPOSIT
420 Chesapeake Racers 18 June - August 17
420 Chesapeake Racers (July 23- Aug 17)
This class is open to children of all SSA regular membership types and SSA Junior Club Members. It is easy, and inexpensive to become a Junior Club Member simply by following this link Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. If you are a current club member, please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (email@example.com) to receive your discount code, then proceed with your registration.
420 Chesapeake Racers
420 Chesapeake Racers is our introductory two person racing group. This group competes in regattas hosted by clubs on the Chesapeake Bay, and in a select few travel regattas. The 420 Chesapeake Racers class is ideal for sailors who have some experience sailing a Club 420 and are ready to put their racing skills to the test. Sailors should be familiar with basic racing skills, points of sail, sail controls and parts of the boat, rigging and derigging, body position and posture of the skipper and crew. Parents are expected to volunteer time to drive to various events. Parents will be expected to self-organize for many of the team’s logistics such as the towing of trailers. Coaches are present for all regattas to help sailors both on and off the water. Please contact the SSA Junior Program Director for a provisional list of events. SSA’s club owned 420’s will be used, but sailors are encouraged to bring their own Club 420. Classes will focus on refining boat handling and practicing other skills needed to become proficient racers, including:
- The Racing Rules of Sailing
- Racing tactics
- Advanced sailing terminology
- Course flags used
- Self-sufficiency on and off the water while traveling
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Re-usable water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Sailors will receive a commemorative gift for participating in the summer program.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking in SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, July 20th, 2018 will be Mid-Season Awards and Friday August 17th, 2018 will be end of season awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled before May 16th will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable. If you cancel your class you will still retain your Junior Club Membership for that year.