This class is open to children of all SSA regular membership types and SSA Junior Club Members. It is easy, and inexpensive to become a Junior Club Member simply by following this link Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. If you are a current club member, please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (email@example.com) to receive your discount code, then proceed with your registration.
Entry into this team is application based - please email the Jr Director this application if you're interested (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Travel fee pending
Optimist Travel Team
The Optimist Travel Team is the most advanced racing group at SSA. Sailors are expected to not only compete in all major local events, but to also compete in regional and national caliber events. The Travel Team is ideal for mature sailors who are ready to make the commitment of advanced Optimist sailing including heavy travel. Travel Team sailors should be familiar with regatta formats and very self-sufficient on and off the water. There will be a parent liaison, subject to the approval of the SSA Junior Program Director. Parents are expected to volunteer time to drive to events as well as chaperone children at travel events. Travel Team sailors will focus on mastering their boat handling skills as well as advanced racing rules and tactics. Acceptance onto the travel team is subject to approval by the Junior Program Director. Submit your application by calling (410) 263-0071 or emailing email@example.com
Optimist Travel Team sailors are required to have the following equipment for both practice and race days:
- Their own boat
- US Coast Guard approved life jacket with whistle attached
- 27’-30’ floating bow line (1/4” min diameter), secured to mast step
- Two bailers that are secured to the boat
- Three airbags which must be firmly inflated and able to hold air
- Rudder retainer clip (secures rudder to transom)
- Daggerboard lanyard (to prevent it from floating away if capsized)
- Mast tie in system (line and/or locking collar)
- Quick connect bridal to mainsheet connection (snap-shackle or similar)
- Mainsheet bridal, no looser than 4” from boom
- Paddle or Praddle
- Additional sail ties
- Appropriate gear and clothing: gloves, hat, closed toe shoes, no cotton based clothing
- Water bottle, lunch and snacks
- Link to official Optimist Class Rules: http://www.optiworld.org/uploaded_files/2015%20Class%20Rules.pdf_2075_en.pdf
Time: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Sailors will receive an SSA commemorative gift for the summer.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking in SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, July 20th, 2018 will be Mid-Season Awards and Friday August 17th, 2018 will be end of season awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled before May 16th will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable. If you cancel your class you will still retain your Junior Club Membership for that year.