This class is open to children of all SSA regular membership types and SSA Junior Club Members. It is easy, and inexpensive to become a Junior Club Member simply by following this link Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. If you are a current club member, please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive your discount code, then proceed with your registration.
Beginning Laser Team
The new beginning Laser team is aimed at kids who have sized, or aged, out of Optis but do not want to sail double-handed dinghies; or, kids who have always looked forward to this exciting, one-design Olympic class dinghy. They will learn the basics of laser sailing such as, upwind sailing, downwind sailing, trim, controls, body placement, starts and boat handling. Participants will train with the Laser Travel team when both are at SSA. Sailors can charter a boat from SSA (first come first serve basis) or bring their own boat. They will travel around the Annapolis area to compete in local regattas like the junior Olympic event in Baltimore. Students will learn how to handle this challenging boat with boat handling drills and physical training. Students should have completed one summer of opti sailing or similar experience. The central focus of this class is to learn how to sail the boat.
Time:9am - 4pm
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking in SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, July 20th, 2018 will be Mid-Season Awards and Friday August 17th, 2018 will be end of season awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled before May 16th will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable. If you cancel your class you will still retain your Junior Club Membership for that year.