Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Opti RWB (ORWB-2) July 17 - August 11
Monday, July 17, 2017
Severn Sailing Association
311 First St.
Annapolis, MD 21403
(Click the down-arrow to the left of the activity/item to view the details)
Opti RWB (ORWB-2) July 17 - August 11
Sign up for both Opti RWB sessions and receive a 10% discount. Please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive your discount code.
To become a Junior Club Member, please Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. Please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (email@example.com) to receive your discount code.
Optimist Red/White/Blue (RWB) sailors are our advanced racing group, and compete primarily in local regattas around the Annapolis area, but also at select travel regattas. The Optimist RWB class practices together, but is separated into different age groups for scoring purposes at regattas and events: White (10 or younger), Blue (11-12), and Red (13-15).The Optimist RWB class is ideal for sailors who are very proficient in racing, but are not yet ready to make the commitment to the SSA Travel Team. Parents are expected to volunteer time to drive to various local events. Sailors will focus on refining boat handling and practicing other skills needed to further develop into advanced racers, including:
- Using telltales
- Advanced sailing terminology
- The Racing Rules of Sailing
- Advanced racing tactics
- Launching, rigging, and docking on own
- Becoming self-sufficient at regattas and events
Optimist R/W/B sailors are required to have the following for both practice and race days:
Time: 10am - 4:00pm
- US Coast Guard approved life jacket with whistle attached
- 27’-30’ Floating bow line (1/4” min diameter), secured to mast step
- Two bailers that are secured to the boat
- 3 Air bags, must be firmly inflated an able to hold air
- Rudder retainer clip (secures rudder to transom)
- Daggerboard lanyard (to prevent it from floating away if capsized)
- Mast tie in system (line and/or locking collar)
- Bridal/Mainsheet connection, must be a shackle type
- Mainsheet Bridal, no loser then approx.. 4” from boom
- Paddle or Praddle
- Additional sail ties
- Appropriate gear/clothing: gloves, hat, closed toe shoes, no cotton based clothing
- Link to official 2015 Optimist Class Rules:http://www.optiworld.org/uploaded_files/2015%20Class%20Rules.pdf_2075_en
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Sailors will receive a t-shirt and a certification card along with a logbook to track their progress.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking in SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, August 11th, 2017 will be End of the Summer Awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled at least 30 days prior to the start date will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable