To become a Junior Club Member, please Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. Please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive your discount code.
Optimist Beginner classes are offered in both full-day and half-day options. Boats are provided, but sailors have the option of bringing their own. This class is ideally suited for sailors age 8-11 and will focus on safety, fun, and learning the basic skills needed to sail. Sailors in the Optimist Beginner class will ideally be comfortable going out on the water and will have had some previous experience sailing the Optimist. Skills introduced in the Harbor Rookies program will be built upon, including but not limited to:
- Wind awareness and weather
- Basic parts of the boat
- Points of sail
- Sailing terminology
- Upwind sailing
9am to 4pm
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
Sailors will receive a t-shirt and certification card along with a logbook during the session.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking in SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, August 11th, 2017
will be End of the Summer Awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled at least 30 days prior to the start date will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable.