Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
420 Full Day Adventure (420FD-3) July 3-July 7
Monday, July 3, 2017, 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM
Severn Sailing Association
311 First St.
Annapolis, MD 21403
Registrants & Fees
***This class has been prorated for the July 4th holiday. There will be no classes on July 4th.
To become a Junior Club Member, please Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. Please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (email@example.com) to receive your discount code.
Full Day Adventure Sailing
Adventure Sailing classes are Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. This course is designed to provide fun, safe exposure to a range of sailboats including the 420 and some small keelboats, without the emphasis on racing. This class is ideal for a range of sailors ages 11-17 with limited to intermediate sailing experience who enjoy on-the-water fun without competitive racing. The focus of the class will be to prepare sailors for a lifetime of sailing and seamanship on the Bay, while enjoying sailing. The week will begin with basic safety information and sailing introduction. Tuesday through Friday sailors can expect to learn basic seamanship and trips to various spots around the Bay. Skills to be taught include:
- Weather and safety
- Wind awareness and direction
- Launching, retrieving, and docking
- Knot tying, rigging, sailing terminology
- How to operate a boat safely and confidently
- Basic parts of the boat and sail controls
- Environmental stewardship
Time: 9am to 4pm
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Bailer (i.e. an empty 1 gallon juice container with the bottom cut-off)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
- Back up water bottle
Sailors will receive a t-shirt for participating in our summer program.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking in SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, August 11th, 2017 will be End of the Summer Awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings. More details will be sent out during the summer.
Any classes cancelled at least 30 days prior to the start date will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable.