To become a Junior Club Member, please Click Here. Children of SSA members do not need to become Junior Club members.
Children of SSA Voting, Associate and Junior Associate members receive 25% off class fees. Please email SSA Office Manager Catherine Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive your discount code.
Optimist Intermediate classes are suitable for sailors age 8-11 who have completed at least two sessions of the Optimist Beginner course, or an equivalent. Courses are offered in either a one-week-long, full-day session, or a two-week-long, half-day session. Boats are provided, but sailors have the option of bringing their own. Older sailors interested in racing should consider owning a boat. In addition to becoming proficient in the skills from the Opti Beginner course, sailors will also be introduced to:
- Rigging on own
- Sail trim
- Parts of the sail
- More advanced sailing terminology
- Introduction and basic rules of racing
- Equipment maintenance
- Comfortable tacking and gybing
9pm to 4pm
Sailor’s daily checklist:
- PFD (Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket) with tied on whistle
- Water bottle & snack / lunch
- Closed-toed shoes
- Swimming Suit (i.e. board shorts and tech t-shirt)
- Hat & sunglasses
- Change of clothes
Sailors will receive a t-shirt and a certification card along with a logbook to track their progress.
Reminders to parents:
- Parents are required to sign their children in and out of the program when dropping off and picking their children up.
- No supervision for your sailor before and after your scheduled class time
- Please stay clear of the classroom area, allow instructor to instruct and supervise.
- There is no parking at SSA because the lot is limited.
- If you want to watch your sailors, you may watch from the 3rd basin or from your own boat as long as the boat is kept away from and is not interfering with the lesson.
Family Awards Night:
Friday, August 11th, 2017
will be End of Summer Awards. Anyone participating in the summer program is welcome to come with their parents and siblings.
Any classes cancelled at least 30 days prior to the start date will be granted a full refund (less processing fees), classes cancelled less than 30 days but before the 1st day of instruction will be given a 50% refund (less processing fees) and no refunds will be issued once class begins. Please note that the Junior Club membership is non-refundable.